Chemical Safety Training
- Hazard Communication Standard
- Laboratory Safety Standard
- Safety & Environmental Protection in the Chemical Laboratory (Course Schedule)
- Questions about Chemical Safety Training
Hazard Communication Standard (HCS)
See also the Hazard Communication Standard .
Frequency: Initial with annual retraining
Training requirements are described here.
For more information about the Hazard Communication Standard, consult this page .
Required by: Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA) 1910.1450
Frequency: Initial and prior to work involving new chemical exposures.
Target Audience: Any individuals who work in research, teaching or clinical laboratories.
Class Description: This class covers the Chemical Hygiene Plan, exposure limits, health hazards, signs and symptoms associated with chemical exposures, material safety data sheets (MSDS), detection methods, PPE, protective clothing, safe work practices and emergency procedures. For more information, please consult the Lab Standard web page.
Class Schedule/Location: This training is provided by the Departmental Safety Coordinator or by VEHS on an as-requested basis. To request this training, please contact Kevin Warren by phone (2-0925) or e-mail (email@example.com).
For more information, consult this page about the Laboratory Standard.
Safety & Environmental Protection in the Chemical Laboratory
This training is strongly recommended for all individuals who work with chemicals in a laboratory setting. This course will satisfy non-lab specific requirements outlined in the Lab Standard for training, however, this training does not satisfy Lab Standard requirements for lab-specific training which must be provided within each lab. This course also satisfies RCRA and DOT environmental protection awareness training required for individuals who work with chemicals in a lab.
This training is available as either a two-hour lecture course or online in the Learning Exchange. You do not need to complete both the online and live versions of the course.
- To attend the lecture course, registration is required. To register, log into the University or Medical Center Learning Exchange and search for "chemical" and enroll in the instructor led course titled Chemical and Physical Lab Safety - Live .
- To take the equivalent online training, you will need to log in to the log in to the University or Medical Center Learning Exchange, search for "chemical" and enroll in both of the following two courses Chemical and Physical Safety in the Lab AND Chemical Waste Training for Labs .